Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Church Interiors Challenge

I played the BBC Church Interiors Challenge, in which players are asked "to drag these different features onto the correct place of the church plan." These different features are: Tomb, Pier, Arch, Nave (where the congregation usually sits), Transept, Choir Stall, Choir Screen, Stained-glass window, Apse.  

I had to guess where on the building the stained-glass window would be place. Each time I dragged it to the wrong position, an "INCORRECT" icon appeared. It took me several times (about 5 or 6) tries before I chose the correct position. I never figured out where the pier went, although presumably it could have been any number of positions. After about 5 minutes I got frustrated and stopped playing.

It would have been much more user-friendly had there been an interactive video showing the various "features" of the church before "dragging these different features onto the correct place." As an ecclesiastical historian, and one who has stepped foot in hundreds of churches across Europe, I'm feeling rather dejected; I'm not in the mood to play another game!




2 comments:

  1. Interesting posting, Cory, and a thoughtful critique. Makes me wonder whether there might be some value in your using the game in class, as a follow up to your students having studied "the various "features" of the church" with you. It could make for a very intriguing spin on assessment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought your post was very thoughtful Cory. It reminded me of the disappointment I've felt when others talk about Jerusalem in a cavalier way without really understanding the Old City or the Western Wall. I think that personal anecdotes can be very powerful in explaining and disseminating History. Therefore, I would encourage you to try and create the atmosphere of being in a magical historical place to others when you are presenting information that you've experienced. For instance, I think your students could gain a lot more from hearing how you felt in a historical place rather than just merely acquiring facts about it. The relationship piece is very important for spurring interest in 21st century learners. I would hate for students to solely conceive of churches in the form of a video game and neglect their overall relevance to both cultural and ecclesiastical history.

    ReplyDelete